Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas, Past, Present, Future






Though Christmas comes but once a year, doesn't it seem to come so quickly? It seems as if we no sooner put the decorations away and it's time to get them out once more. So much to do, so little time. I always look forward to the day arriving because I know I can't do any more shopping or planning.

A sense of peace descends upon me and I know it's okay to put aside anything that hasn't yet been done and enjoy. This year, my husband, Will and I, will be staying home for the third year in a row. All of our children and grandchildren are far away - with only one living close enough for us to drive. And at that, it takes us two days

Our first year "alone," I worried about not going to one of our daughter's houses, but now, we've settled into our new routine and I look at it as a new time in our life. Sort of like our first Christmas alone together. Though, I don't even think of that first year as one truly alone since I was already pregnant with our first daughter. Already, I was thinking of myself as Mom and Will as Dad. That was 47 years ago! My, how those Christmases have flown by.

Each year, since then, I've put out our Christmas stockings, the ones I hand stitched that first year as a surprise for Will. At the time, he didn't act too thrilled. Looking back, I realize that more than likely the concept of becoming a father within the first year of becoming a husband hadn't quite soaked into his psyche. Since our daughter, Ginger, was nestled just under my heart, I think it was easier for me.

I find as I live longer, all the Christmases of my life are part of each year's celebration. So, I guess we really are not alone since all those memories live in our hearts. There's a bittersweet quality to the holiday as I review all the cherished mental pictures - our early years with our little girls as each one joined our family, their growing years, and yes, a little sadness as they grew beyond the magic of Santa Claus. Just a smidgen, though, one that was overcome by my joy in seeing them grow as they should into lovely young women.

Later, I wondered how much longer I would have all four come home for the holidays and then, all too soon, it happened, fortunately, not all of them at once, and the change was sweetened by the addition of grandchildren. Ah, once again the magic of Santa... Then all too soon, that, too, evaporated as the children of my children grew into their teen and preteen years.

As each year comes and goes, I no longer take them for granted as I did in years past. To be with my beloved, to talk to each of my children, and at least some of my grandchildren, is a gift beyond any other.

So, our stockings are hung, boxes from North Carolina and Florida have arrived and the presents await. Now, we, too, wait for the arrival of the Presence ourselves. And cherish not only the old memories, but the making of new ones. We are blessed in so many ways.



Merry Christmas, One and All!

No comments:

Post a Comment